Glen Arbor Sun
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Rss this site
  • Stories
    • Business Feature
    • Dispatch from Afar
    • Food/Organic Living
    • Historical Feature
    • Investigative Article
    • Local Personality
    • Poetry/Essay
    • Talk of the Town
    • Upcoming Event
    • Latest Print Editions
  • About Us
  • Advertising
  • Calendar
  • Area Links
  • Subscriptions & Email Updates
  • Contact
  • Click to open the search input field Click to open the search input field Search
  • Menu Menu
Blog - Latest News

Leelanau’s first COVID-19 case released from hospital — coronavirus free

News

By Jacob Wheeler

Sun editor

Leelanau County’s first confirmed case of COVID-19 coronavirus has been released from Munson Medical Center in Traverse City. The gentleman is out of isolation, free of coronavirus, and poses no risk to the public, according to Michelle Klein, director of personal health at the Benzie-Leelanau District Health Department.

Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines require that when someone is diagnosed with COVID, they must be isolated until they are fever-free for 72 hours and their symptoms are improving, and a minimum 7 days must have passed since the onset of their symptoms, Klein told the Glen Arbor Sun this morning.

Klein added that citizens must remain vigilant in washing their hands, decontaminating surfaces, and practicing social distancing of 6 feet or more. The Health Department fully expects that coronavirus will eventually spread throughout the community.

A total of 15 Leelanau County residents have been tested for coronavirus. 14 of those tests are still pending; none have come back negative. In Benzie County, 16 have been tested; 9 have returned negative, and 0 have returned positive. Tests are sent to a Michigan Department of Health and Human Services lab in Lansing.

The case of Leelanau’s first coronavirus patient may have a happy ending. But cases to come may not. The danger is very, very real.

“This disease will permeate our communities,” said Klein. “So we all need to approach it as if anyone we’re next to could be infected.”

Traveled from out of state, little interaction with public, emergency responders protected themselves

Leelanau’s first coronavirus case, who has now left the hospital, traveled to our region from out of state and reached his dwelling before he was taken to Munson Medical Center and tested for COVID-19.

The Health Department gathered a detailed history of where he was and with whom he interacted, said Klein. The gentleman—who is not a senior citizen—drove to Leelanau County from out-of-state—he did not fly. He traveled here alone, and resided alone in his dwelling, confirmed Klein. (CDC guidelines stipulate that briefly walking by someone in a public place poses little risk.)

The gentleman was transported to Munson Medical Center by emergency medical services who protected themselves appropriately.

“This is scary because it’s a big disease, and it’s new,” said Klein. “But they are used to potentially being exposed, and using protective equipment. … All of us, since 9-11, have been preparing for pandemics and biological outbreaks and disease. We have plans in place.”

“We are asking, if anyone needs to go to the hospital, when you call 911, let them know if have respiratory issues or shortness of breath,” added Klein.

The gentleman was tested at Munson for COVID-19 last Thursday, March 12. The positive result arrived late Monday night, March 16. Four days later, Klein confirmed that he had been released from the hospital.

The number of coronavirus tests available in our region, Michigan and the nation remain dangerously low. As such, Klein says that the public cannot be tested unless they show symptoms—fever, coughing, shortness of breath, and respiratory issues. One has to go through their healthcare provider to be tested. However, in the case of severe symptoms, citizens should call 911—and inform the emergency responders of respiratory issues. Munson Medical Center has launched a COVID-19 hotline: Call 231-935-0951. The State of Michigan also has a hotline in place: Call 1-888-535-6136 or email covid19@michigan.gov with questions about coronavirus.

Share this:

  • Share
  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
  • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
  • Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Print (Opens in new window) Print
  • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
March 20, 2020/by editor
Tags: Benzie Leelanau District Health Department, coronavirus, Covid-19, Michelle Klein
https://glenarborsun.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Coronavirus-CDC.jpg 675 1200 editor https://glenarborsun.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Glen-Arbor-Sun-Glen-Arbor-Michigan.png editor2020-03-20 11:38:142020-03-20 11:49:18Leelanau’s first COVID-19 case released from hospital — coronavirus free
You might also like
Tick exposures on the rise; Health Department warns public
COVID-positive cases, close exposures rise at Glen Lake School—as vaccine approval for children nears
COVID positive case prompts Glen Lake to close fourth grade, kindergarten classes
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore to delay seasonal opening of facilities until July 1
Leelanau Essentials—the workers who keep us safe during the pandemic. Meet Glen Lake firefighter Nathaniel Feldpausch
Percentage of Leelanau County residents receiving first vaccine dose passes 70%—leading the state
Pandemic innovators: Rove Estate offers “build your own wine picnic”
Free COVID tests offered Wednesday at Sleeping Bear Dune Climb
Leelanau.com

Search the Sun

Search Search

Categories

Archives

© Glen Arbor Sun

webdesign by leelanau.com
  • Link to Facebook
  • Link to Instagram
  • Link to Rss this site
  • Stories
  • About Us
  • Advertising
  • Calendar
  • Area Links
  • Subscriptions & Email Updates
  • Contact
Link to: Love, and community solidarity, in the age of Coronavirus Link to: Love, and community solidarity, in the age of Coronavirus Love, and community solidarity, in the age of Coronavirus Link to: Sleeping Bear Dunes closes campgrounds, restrooms due to coronavirus Link to: Sleeping Bear Dunes closes campgrounds, restrooms due to coronavirus Sleeping Bear Dunes closes campgrounds, restrooms due to coronavirus
Scroll to top Scroll to top Scroll to top